Saturday 24 July 2010

State of the Union Address Part 1

Well, here I am. Another bad night. I still don't sleep well and really haven't ever since I started Taxotereshit. Remember? I never had a problem sleeping before I started that particular drug...

...indeed, I think it I can honestly say I haven't slept more than about 2 hours in one go for months now. No, not in pain or feeling poorly. I just toss and turn a lot and look at the clock.

For instance, last night I went to bed at 11pm. I felt tired. I didn't fall asleep until 12 and then saw 2am, tossed and turned, saw 4am, tossed and turned and then by 5.35am I was awake for good. Do I feel tired? No, not at all but I will want to go to bed earlier tonight to make up for the lack of sleep I have already suffered. And then I will be awake in the early morning again.

Weirdly, I don't look tired...

Perhaps they should add 'will fuck up your sleep' to the side effects list. Along with 'will cover you in a red, sore rash'?

Anyway, purpose of this entry is to report the condition of my cancer-struck body and then, later outline my plans over the next month or so, rather like the US President does to Congress. Well, I think that is what the State of the Union address is...

As of now the chemotherapy is pretty much out of my body. I imagine it has left some significant changes and some of these might last a while?

My skin is so much better and I realise a lot of it was the Taxotere. I hope this will diminish over the weeks...

...my sleep patterns have been altered. Drugs don't help, unless they want to give me an elephant tranqualiser?

My hair is actually coming back a bit. A very light growth can be seen sprouting from my head. I imagine this will take a good 3 months to form anything near a short crew cut again. I have been told once it starts, it goes mad and grows quickly. Sinead and me will look alike again.

My eyebrows pretty much survived the chemo! Those buggers might need taming again at some point once things start to grow.

I did lose about half my eyelashes.

Hair is growing, very slightly, back under my arms. Bastard. It was rather nice being completely hairless under there!

Didn't lose all the bikini either. But it looks very tidy...

I have put on about 5kgs. I knew I would! I have been eating whatever I want and not going to the gym. What more can I say? More calories have been going in than going out, so I have got fat. Now a 14 and not a 12. Lucky I am tall. Diet and exercise starting as soon as...

The most significant change to myself, post-chemo, is my head. I have had one hell of a steep learning curve, but I think I have learnt a lot about myself. Particularly my coping mechanisms and how I deal with the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. Personally, I wouldn't recommend getting cancer to find out more about yourself, people. I recommend a good therapist.

Part 2 later.

No comments:

Post a Comment