Wednesday 12 May 2010

Shiny happy bunnies...

I can't believe it is Wednesday already...two weeks since round 2 of Fight Club and only one more until the next round. Technically, I am a quarter of the way through but by next week, more than a third.

Where is the time going?

I will be coming out of the nadir over the next day or so. Feel absolutely fine and certainly, no fatigue or tiredness which I understand is normal at this point, seeing as my bone marrow is all but dead right now. I think part of this fatigue is down to the drop in haemoglobin, which obviously takes oxygen to those red blood cells...a significant drop causes anaemia. Red blood cells themselves don't get overly affected by chemo...as their life span is about four months, thus they are not 'fast growing cells'...unlike those poor neutrophils, which live a few days. Anyway, my Hgb was perfectly normal last time....not bad for a veggie! I have never been anaemic in my life...must be all that tofu, eggs and brazil nuts I eat.

I am determined to educate you lot about chemo, systemics and blood work!

Shiny pate is great. Well, not 'great' as in a fashion choice, but I don't have any problems with itchiness anymore. I do find myself attempting to run my fingers through my hair now and then...like people who have lost limbs and sometimes feel they are still there, I sometimes forget I have lost my hair. Very odd. The other thing is I must remember to put a bandana on before I leave the house...it must become second nature. I mean, you don't leave the house without your knickers on, do you? Well I don't...can't speak for you lot, who I like to believe are all degenerates with shady morals...

I might put a post-it on the front door "Don't forget your bloody bandana or you will scare people!"

Right, off to the dry cleaners to put to deliver all my clothes that aren't cancer uniform (jeans/stripey tops), all the clothes which post-chemo-lack-of-hair-Plaingoldband-cannot-wear-anymore. Might as well get them cleaned and wrapped up for when the hair grows back...apart from that. life is great and I am a happy (bald) bunny.

Why did Plaingoldband put a rabbit on her head? Because she wanted a head of hare...

5 comments:

  1. I just felt compelled to tell you that my knickers are firmly on!

    I know you will sleep well tonight on that wee gem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life's too short to wear knickers - unless they're frilly ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting!! Anyway if you are a veggie quickest way to get iron back into your body is to eat lot of leafy green vegetables, though not spinach or chard which contain oxalic acid which binds with iron. Soy, tea and coffee also contain oxalic acid. Next best are kelp, molasses and certain beans. For vitamin B12, which is very important to digest vegetable iron, then eggs are good (they contain a protein which binds with their iron). Sue likes Sundays like that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Paul. The question is do you wear your knickers or not when you leave the house???

    I am good on pulses and the old broccoli and also, the Nespresso machine!

    I try and eat 7 or 8 eggs a week...the protein in them is essential for re-build of neutrophils apparently. For a veggie, I have a lot of iron according to my doc.

    X

    ReplyDelete
  5. When conditions permit I think it's great to feel free. However, no pants for a guy can be just-not-clever in certain situations. I could just leave it at that, but in return for being so determined to continue the theme, apart from the obvious, escaping from shorts whilst sitting down is one example that springs to mind. Are you sure you're glad you asked now?!

    ReplyDelete