Tuesday 27 April 2010

Round 2 of Fight Club

Tomorrow is Round 2 of Fight Club. I certainly look the part now...shaved head, Elvis sneer, frightening small children, old ladies and dogs...

...I nipped to see Dr Lucy for my 'pre-chemo' blood test this morning. This is because House wants to see what my little Neutrophils are up to. Has Domestos allowed them to come back in time for Round 2?

Last week, my bone marrow was unable to produce many white blood cells, thus the 'nadir'. But over the last 5 or so days, it should be up for anything and producing them there neutrophils again...my infection-fighting little friends.

The test I have to pass is the 'Absolute Neutrophil Count' (ANC - no, not the African National Congress). This, I believe, is an equation:

ANC= (%neutrophils + %bands) x White Blood Cell Count.

I feel like Professor Charlie Epps off 'Numbers'...a mathematical genius for just writing that. I even understand it.

Anyway, for normal people, the ANC should be about 1500 per mL of blood. Anything below 500 means House will say 'no chemotherapy for you today, my cancer-stricken patient'.

My ANC was a nice healthy 1600mL the day I had chemo round 1. I wonder what it is now...

Am I nervous about tomorrow? I am still thinking jumping on a plane and getting the fuck out of here as an option. But it's not as bad as last time...now, the pressure I feel, the anxiety I feel is more 'will it be like last time and will I not suffer' rather than 'what the hell is going to happen'.

So long, farewell, auf weidersehen, goodbye...

"If I could wake up in a different place, at a different time, could I wake up as a different person?" - Chuck Palahniuk - Fight Club

No comments:

Post a Comment