Monday 19 April 2010

So it begins...

I think my hair is beginning to come out.

Hmmm, not the hair on my head. My eyebrows. Although I imagine the hair on my head will start to loosen soon too.


Monday is eyebrow-tidy day. I am quite lucky, as my brows are pretty easy to keep tidy but I do take the odd straggler out...as you do (I imagine the average bloke has no idea what I am talking about at this point...particularly if we take Noel Gallagher as the average bloke).


Anyway, I normally have to give the odd straggler a mighty tug. Not today. Today the odd straggler just fell out as soon as I touched it with the Tweezermans...I know this sounds ridiculous, but I know my eyebrows. My eyebrows need a tug normally...


If only I didn't know about the impending complete deletion of my hair...I would almost like the ease of my eyebrow tidying today. Only took a minute, seeing as the odd stragglers just fell out.


Not sure whether to laugh or cry.


I have been told that the hair begins to fall out in the 3rd week of the 1st cycle. That begins Wednesday this week...Chemo Cycle 2 is next Wednesday.


It sucks. It really sucks.


And what sucks the most is this: so far the only side effect of having cancer and chemotherapy is my fucking hair loss...first with the cut and now the falling out.


Oh I know I shouldn't grumble. It could all be so much worse. I feel shallow and even a little selfish...so many people in my position are suffering terrible side effects and here I am, not suffering anything more than hairloss. And at this point, eyebrow loss. I feel guilty about being so shallow and selfish.

I suppose I am at least dealing with it. Nursey said many women are so busy dealing with the trauma of having cancer, they don't deal with the hair loss issue and it is a mighty big shock to them when it starts to come out. Nursey said it is one of the first things to cause depression in cancer sufferers who receive chemo.

So, I might be shallow and selfish, but at least I am dealing with it, even if it is in a shallow and selfish way. And I keep finding myself tugging at my hair! Just to see if it is loosening!

I better put Ollie the Hair on speed dial for that #1....

DogwankingfucksticksIdon'twanttolooklikeKojack.

Quote of the Day: "It is foolish to tear one's hair in grief, as though sorrow would be made less with baldness" - Marcus T. Cicero



No comments:

Post a Comment