Thursday 11 March 2010

I woke up this morning...

I woke up this morning with the mantra 'I have breast cancer and I am going to have chemo'. I have obviously added a bit...certainly, the mantra has worked effectively up to now because I haven't lost a wink of sleep to the whole concept yet and, more importantly, I have woken up without any feelings of dread.

These are my thoughts, in no particular order, on the news of yesterday:

  • I am happy with the way it went. I am happy with the decision I made in the Scouse breast man's office. It was, all in all, a shit day but it went well.
  • It has occurred to me that I won't have to buy any more razors or pay my beautician to give me a bikini wax for the next 6 months. Oh, and no more eyebrow grooming. I won't have any.
  • Why haven't I cried?
  • My masacara costs will also decrease enormously. I won't have any eyelashes.
  • I am again humbled by my friends. What a bunch of incredible people.
  • The treatment plan, or the infant treatment plan I have in my head, won't be over until Christmas. 2010 is going to be a bit shit in a lot of ways.
  • I am going to have to stop going to the gym (I like the gym and I like getting and being fit). Note to self: cancel gym membership, play on the cancer situation and they might not charge me to much to leave early...
  • I wonder what Kylie's thoughts were on her 'D-Day'. I think Kylie and me have a lot in common now (I would never really have been able to say this before Colin...she is petite, talented and gorgeous, I am tall, booksmart and acceptable. Now she and I are more alike in many ways than her and her sister Danni...actually, I didn't really think about Kylie or Danni before Colin...will having cancer make me like the X-Factor too???
  • I won't be able to do my Roadtrip Across the States holiday in the summer now. No holidays for me this year because I reckon my worldwide travel insurance will be invalid and no airline, not even the struggling British Airways, will want my business.
  • Do I buy funky headscarves (was thinking Missoni, Hermes and Prada darling), or shall I stick with my customary 'black'.
  • I am glad I am not, well the plan is I won't and I suppose things might change...yes, I am glad I am not having a full chopped-off-boob. I realise now I didn't want to lose my whole breast, even though I accepted that it might have been the only way
  • It occurred to me that now I have cancer and am having chemo, then everything is about me me me...I kind of like this in one way, and not in another. I am quite a shy person really. I don't actually like being the centre of attraction...not that cancer is attractive, but people are going to treat me quite differently.

See, random. But I suppose I am under some stress and thoughts can become randon when you are feeling a little stressed, can't they?

I mean, I must be stressed? I am tired. I have pretty much lived on adrenaline the last week. I think it might be like that for a bit longer yet...but I am eating, thinking straight and sleeping ok. When I have been stressed in the past (bad job experience/university exams/my lover and father of my daughter leaving me for someone else) I have not eaten and not slept. I am doing all these things quite normally.

I think I am thinking about why haven't I broken down/cried/wrung my hands yet too. Will I? Do I need to? I don't feel the need to. Am I normal then? I feel perfectly normal. I don't feel ill or like I am on the urge of a a breakdown or anything.

Can you be perfectly normal and not cry when you are told you have Type 2 cancer and your whole year is fecked up because you are going to have chemotherapy???

Right, off to work. Today I am going to sort out a new GP (long story about GP, where I live at the moment and what I do for work...I might get around to blogging it). Superstar boss has this sorted. Apparently I need a good local GP because chemotherapy has a way of making you need their services regularly... I think I might also cancel my gym membership and also think about buying a new cellphone.

See, life goes on...

2 comments:

  1. You're quite right, life does go on. It's likely to be a shit year but it'll pass and you can postpone the America trip for next year, it'll give you something to focus on.
    Yes, get the funkiest scarves you can find, black is too boring, if you're going to be the centre of attention make the most of it ;) What about hats?
    Good luck with the GP.
    xxx
    Ellieh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't feel ill , cancer is a sneaky little sod.

    You are right it is now all about you, you ,you!! you will become a little selfish, because you want to get better. :)

    Hat's are good , purple Vans beanie for me from my nephews :)

    Yes , good luck with the GP.... and a bit of advice , when offered help say YES ! you can always say no later . No can be too easy to say sometimes.The people offering help have been through this with people before and it is amazing what they can do for you .

    ReplyDelete